La Prairie Skin Caviar Foundation Review



Recently I received a sample of La Prairie Skin Caviar Foundation from Conde Nast Try it program. This came with 4 different shades and an applicator sponge. Each color could be torn off the rest of the sample making for very easy trial. I had not heard of La Prairie as a brand before opening this sample, but was very excited to try it as I haven't found my perfect foundation yet.

The four colors they sent are all somewhat close to my skin tone. This was great because it meant I could put all four options to use and get a better idea of the product. It went on incredibly smoothly and left a matte finish. It wasn't greasy at all even though it provided full coverage and felt lightweight. The applicator sponge made it easy to apply too. Typically full coverage foundations have led to increased breakouts for me in the past, but that wasn't the case at all with La Prairie.

Throughout the day, the coverage seemed to last without clogging pores or becoming streaky or caked looking. I put it to the test by walking outdoors for 20-60 minutes during the heat of the day (90 degrees + Fahrenheit or  around 32 Celsius). As long as I didn't wipe my face, the foundation stayed intact and left me with a fresh look even after sweating. The sunscreen it contained prevented any burns even walking over the noon hour. Needless to say, I loved this product!

The pitfalls...

After using Skin Caviar Foundation for a few days, I looked it up online to see if I'd want to buy it. There was sticker shock to say the least. While this is an excellent product, I can't recommend it to the average person due to the high price tag. Prices varied from $175 to almost $300 for a 1 oz container. Even though I loved this foundation, I likely will never purchase as I can't justify spending that kind of money on makeup. I mean that is almost how much it is costing me to fly round trip from the Midwest to Rome. Would I trade a European getaway for great foundation? Definitely not. 

That being said, if price is not an issue for you or you are in desperate need of a good foundation and want it at any cost - this is the product for you!  Price is the only downfall of this amazing product and I will be avidly watching for sales and copycat products. I haven't used a similar product yet, but if I find an alternative I will be sure to post an update here. 

If you have suggestions for a similar, but more affordable product, please comment below or send me a message. I would love to try it out! 



Comments